Friday, April 30, 2010

SIMUN blog ll

When we first had to start our research of SIMUN, I thought that it was going to be the hardest things ever. In the beginning, it was horrible because we had to spend a month researching the topics that we had. First we had to look up information about our country. I had Iran, which I thought would make it even harder because nobody likes Iran and they are all over the news so nobody would go on my side. I really needed to do well because of that reason. I did well on the researching of my country but the next part was the part I hated the most and the part that was really hard.

We were assigned four questions to answer, but it wasn’t a yes or no question. They weren’t even short answer or essay answers. They were full paper answers. I had to research the topic and then somehow expand my short “This should happen” answer into a full answer that was about a paper long. The research never seems like the hard thing, but when I researched these questions, nothing came up. It was so aggravating. I finally found my three sources then came the really hard part, expanding the answer. It was extremely difficult but I finished it and had a good time in the end.

Actually going into the first debate day of SIMUN, I didn’t know what to expect. I just sort of sat there for the first couple of minutes and realized that if I wanted to get a decent grade on this, I would have to wake up and say something. So I went on the speaker’s list. Then I made a mistake when I was done with my speaking, I yielded my time to the chair, not questions. I asked some questions throughout the debate and ended up with, what I thought was a pretty good first day. The second day was almost exactly the same as the first except with a new debate and this time; I yielded my time to questions and handled them pretty well. The third day was definitely the most difficult thought. I couldn’t understand where my position was and what was going on. Then I figured it out, added myself to the speaker’s list and right when I was going to speak. Somebody proposed to move into voting procedure and I didn’t get to speak. If we would’ve gone faster, I could’ve done the debate about Iran, which I would’ve been way move involved with but I didn’t get to do that debate. So I think that I did okay but I could’ve done way better. Next year I will definitely get more involved and overall, I was a good experience and I had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment